Tips to Improve Your Restaurant Food Choices
Houston has one of the highest restaurant industries on a per-capita basis. There are many small ways that you can change your eating habits so that you eat healthier foods. Consider these tips when choosing your foods in a restaurant.
- Ask for salad dressing, gravy, or sauce on the side and use sparingly.
- Choose main dishes that are broiled, baked, roasted, or grilled, instead of deep-fried or pan-fried.
- Don't be afraid to make special requests, such as asking that something be cooked with less fat.
When ordering a sandwich:
- Add lettuce and tomato.
- Ask for whole-wheat or rye bread.
- Choose mustard instead of mayonnaise.
At Chinese restaurants:
- Have brown rice instead white rice.
- Order a side dish of steamed broccoli.
At fast food places:
- Order smaller burgers. Skip the cheese and bacon.
- Order a grilled chicken sandwich.
- Order garden or grilled chicken salads with low-fat dressings.
- Choose water or low-fat milk instead of regular soda.
At pizza places:
- Ask for vegetable toppings, such as mushrooms or peppers, rather than meat toppings.
- Get whole-wheat crust.
- Request half the cheese.
- Eat a salad with low-fat dressing in place of a slice of pizza.